South Florida Mitsubishi Enthusiasts

The Online Home for South Florida Mitsubishi & DSM Enthusiasts!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:16 am 

I'm Miles and I'm new in West Palm. I have a seriously 'roided up '95 TSi that'll bark and hiss, and scare the locals but it definitely needs some motivation to get off the treadmill. So how do I get connected with y'all so I can get some tips and suggestions?! :twisted:

Miles

Post subject: And about my car!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:45 am 

It's a fully built '95 TSi AWD AUTOMATIC!! Don't laugh. It's no joke. It's a DSMlink powered 2.4 @9.1:1. 60-1 precision turbo, 3" MAF, SBR frontmount, sheetmetal intake mani, ported/polished and portmatched (by me) 1G head w/ ferrea valves and manley springs and titanium retainers, ebay special aluminum radiator, DN performance tubular manifold (portmatched) Tial 38mm wastegate & BOV, Precision 880cc injectors. TRANNY: IPT valve body w/Translab shift kit, High torque overdrive clutches, external cooler, and 4200 stall converter. Here are some pics!

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:23 am 
Veteran Member

Name: AJ
Car: 1997 Eclipse GSX
Why would we laugh at it for being an automatic? One of the fastest DSMs around here went automatic not that long ago. Possibly another one soon, too.

Welcome to the boards. Your car sounds bad ass. What 2.4L are you using? The G4CS/G4CB, or the 4G64? Any dyno numbers?

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - PARKED
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - WRECKED

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:19 am 

The car hasn't moved more than 100 feet under it's own power. I'm still sorting things out and i'm new to tuning. I used a 4G64 2.4 out of a '94 galant. I really need to find some more Stroker people and find out what they did to compensate for the extra displacement in DSMlink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:23 am 
Veteran Member

Name: Mike
Car: 2021 Chevy Blazer 2LT Midnight Sport
Badass! Where in West Palm are you? I've never seen that car before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:32 am 

Yeah, unfortunately, nobody has seen it yet really. It's at a tranny shop in delray right now. :? And still hasn't made it's maiden voyage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:20 am 

More recent pix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:26 am 
Veteran Member

Name: Mike
Car: 2021 Chevy Blazer 2LT Midnight Sport
Looks pretty sick man, hope to see it soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:01 pm 

Car: 92 GST
Now that's an intro.... Image

Welcome Miles, If you can get on the Link forums.
There is plenty of information there from alot of serious DSMers.

Post subject: DSMlink forums...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:04 pm 

Yeah, I'm already a member on the Link forums, as well as DSMsource and DSMtuners. The only problem is i don't have any logs to post, and i know that's what they'll ask for. My other problem has been Florida isn't the friendliest place to have a "work in progress" car if you don't have a house. So the car is parked kinda far away for ritual tuning time. Sux!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

You don't compensate in dsmlink for the additional displacement. Just because you don't have logs doesn't mean you can't search and read, which I strongly suggest you do. :wink:

That's an interesting rollbar design. Who did the cage work? Care to give any details of the engineering and process behind it?

RIP: Raul Ortiz - 02/29/2008 -- Westley Hess - 12/30/2008 -- W.G.L. - 4/24/2010

Life member: NRA, GOA, SAF

Post subject: Actually...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:33 pm 

So how is the ECU supposed to know that you have an extra .4 liters of displacement, AND adjust for a far more efficient air flow design from intake to exhaust without dialing in the adjustments in DSMlink to compensate for the modifications?? I did search all over the place for answers, hence the reason for posting, and have posted a couple of times for suggestions to no avail on the DSMlink site and on DSMtuners for my unique problem (2.4 mated to an auto tranny). The fact is most all of the information that i've learned to actually build this car the last two years from the ground up is from these forums and other sites as well, so i have done my homework. No person has taught me any of my DSM knowledge. All available info has been strictly on driving/tuning, but no-one has the answer on why my car dies when put into gear. So I'm reaching out for help across the boards, cuz y'all are the DSM vets. I am a newbie, so-to-speak, but i'm not clueless. And according to a local tranny shop, the transmission checks good. The car is there right now. The car does run now, and i've gotten it there by myself, but it won't move. It's come a LOOONG way. So HELP! Please don't criticize! Offer what you know that i might not have tried.

The cage work was actually engineered by me at the school i went to, and a friend and I did the work; All welding, bending, and metal milling was done with a manual tubing bender using cold rolled DOM 1.25 wall steel tubing and 1/8" plate for the chassis points. Most welding was MIG but the center section is 1/4" plate milled on a drill press and TIG welded. I didn't have time to weld in shoulder bars, but that will have to wait till i can get everything else in order. I also did all energy suspension bushings and KYB AGX shox and H&R springs for suspension.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:20 pm 

Nice car! Automatic FTW .. i dont think that roll bar will count for much at tech at the track
I also have a automatic DSM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:02 am 
Veteran Member

+1 For the thumb nail spoiler :wink:
Welcome to the boards, hope to see the beast in action soon.

Post subject: You're probably right...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:48 am 

I didn't have a rule book handy at the time, but i did tie it into the hat channels in the trunk well, so we'll see if that counts for anything. Thanks a lot for the compliments! It needs paint really bad though. What's worse, is i'm a painter/bodyman by trade saying that. :lol: So how often do y'all have meets? I'll try to make it out next time around. Maybe even with the car if all goes right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:17 am 
Site Admin

The ECU doesn't know about it, nor does it care about it. It doesn't make any difference to the ECU one way or the other. You could plug a 1.0L in, or a 8.0L and the ECU wouldn't have to change a thing. That's just how ECU's (ours/DSMlink at least) work.

It didn't appeared that you'd searched as I know that discussion has come up many times on the DSMlink forum. My apologies for suggesting you might learn something from "someone" (because posts made by someone apparently don't count).

That roll bar setup may well pass NHRA tech or IHRA tech, but I personally would be concerned with the rear bracing in the event of a crash. Generally speaking, roll bars and cages function best when the forces are transferred in continuous flowing lines. The rear braces on your setup change the force angles a few times, which would make me personally hesitant about it.

Also (you mention the project as being incomplete, so you likely already know this, but...) I see no door bars, which though you needn't one on the passenger side, one on the driver side is required -- same with the seat belt bar/cross brace. Also, once you put a rollbar/cage in the car, rules state that you need 5-point harnesses as well in order to pass tech (since no passengers are allowed at moroso, that's also drivers side only). The cross-brace/belt bar must be no higher than the drivers shoulders, and no more than 4" below their shoulders.

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just relaying information.

XtremeDrag, you have an auto DSM that (last I heard) only shifts to 3rd and reverse. :tongue: Did you ever get that figured out/fixed, by the way? And WTF is up with your phone? Been trying to call, but your number no longer works.

Post subject: Ahem...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:44 pm 

I appreciate you keeping the forums clean from people asking premature questions before researching and all, but as far as my recent concerns, there just hasn't been much help out there. For the DSMlink compensation issue, DSMlink follows the definition to a "t" when it comes to it's primary purposes, to control air/fuel/timing/etc to balance engine function to make horsepower. Because the factory ECU can't do it all on it's own. According to Webster's Dictionary, meaning #3 is "A: to provide with means of counteracting variation. B : to neutralize the effect of (variations)" Those variations being air and fuel. For us to "compensate". DSMlink provides that means because the factory ECU can't do it on it's own. As far as the "someone" aspect, I wasn't talking about asking questions on the forums so much as I was talking about websites and how-tos with more concrete information from, sometimes, more credible sources. I didn't start posting on forums until recently. And i do know about the shoulder bars, the extra triangulation and harness bar. I just didn't have the time for all of those considerations when i haven't even got the car running and moving right. That's focus #1. I'm a light hearted and fun loving guy. I hate talking in "cold hard fact" terminology. More encouraging words would probably be taken less offensively, for future reverence. We do these things for fun and it's nice to feel good about what we're trying to accomplish, especially when asking for help and when we all here to share something in common. :wink: Wouldn't you agree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

My point was simply that I know for a fact that conversation came up on their forum. I realize it's cluttered there, and things can be hard to find.

DSMLink adds no new functionality so far as engine management goes. It merely exposes the factory parameters for the end user to alter as they see fit. 99% of the "logic" changes between the factory and DSMLink code are there simply to support the user manipulating the params (there are a few things like octane reset, fuel cut removal, etc. but they pale in comparison to the bulk of the DSMLink code).

Logging, nitrous controls, NLTS, etc. are neither here nor there to actual engine management.

In addition, don't forget that you're running on a MAF based system, so any "compensation" due to additional air/fuel/whatever is already built in. The airflow is measured directly and in real time, and everything else is calculated relative to the measured airflow. It's not like we're talking MAP here where the VE maps and tune merely guess at how much air you're flowing, and need an update/retune from something as simple as cleaning your air filter.

Cold hard facts win races and make money, and being either broke or a loser (or both) doesn't interest me.

And no, sorry, but I'm not here for people to feed me bullshit or stroke my ego to make me feel good. I expect credit where credit is due, and criticism when necessary too. That's life.

Edit: Also, note the fact that I wasn't an asshole with my criticisms. I think most of the folks here would say I was actually very nice about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:19 pm 

I commend you on your knowledge and i make no claims to know more than anybody on here. I'm here to learn. I realize i'm a "noob". But obviously you and i have different goals as far as DSMs go. I call this "fun" and you call this "a measure in my masculinity". Do your thing Sillycon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:10 pm 
Veteran Member

Name: AJ
Car: 1997 Eclipse GSX
Sillycon being nice....!?! :shocked: Has the world started to spin backwards!?

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - PARKED
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - WRECKED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:29 am 

OK Sillycon. Can I call for a truce? I don't know you personally, so i don't know your habits and traits. Black and white text is a good insulator on what people are like and I'd like to make some friends down here in the DSM community if that's at all possible. I actually like an intelligent argument every once in a while, even when i loose, so I'll start at square one if you're willing to. Whaddaya say, Man? 8) Whasup? My name is Miles... and I'm a DSMaholic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:21 am 
Site Admin

What's to call a truce on?

Nobody is winning or loosing anything here. You asked a question, you got an answer.

Thanks for breaking out the "personal attacks" though, as that was obviously necessary.

FWIW: The only measure of anything in my book is ones honor, integrity, and their word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:23 pm 

Car: 92 GST
:roll: Anyways, Miles we meet every other week.
Meet Info Link

Check the events section for up to date meets and events.
It will be nice to see your car in person....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:08 pm 

The "personal attack" thing is subjective. I did take offense to your tone, even though it may have not been grammatically, because i don't know you personally . For instance, sarcasm is offensive tonally typically without the words ever being harsh in themselves. Just because YOU could care less about other peoples approval or "positive motivation" doesn't mean everyone else doesn't or shouldn't. You'd appreciate your friends approval wouldn't you? Some peoples circles go farther than just friends. Being cool towards someone doesn't constitute "feeding bullshit" and "stroking ego" all the time. But everyone's different. That's just my 2 cents. But, hey, it's all good... No harm, no foul.

Post subject: I appreciate it
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:12 am 

Thanks for the invite! Hopefully i'll make it out next week? I'll check the schedule. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Winglessflight97 wrote:
You'd appreciate your friends approval wouldn't you? Some peoples circles go farther than just friends. Being cool towards someone doesn't constitute "feeding bullshit" and "stroking ego" all the time. But everyone's different. That's just my 2 cents. But, hey, it's all good... No harm, no foul.

There are people here I regard as if they were my own blood - they may as well be brothers I grew up with my whole life. Doesn't mean they have to approve of everything I do, or swing from my balls trying to be "cool" towards me. Again: I value honesty over feel-good babble.

Remember the golden rule: treat others as you want to be treated.

I want honesty, so I give it. I don't want feel good babble, so I don't give it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:28 am 

Fair enough... We'll leave it at that... 8)

Post subject: NICE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:47 am 

VERY NICE. GOD I CANT WAIT TILL I GET MINE ON THE ROAD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Ok choad, what's your deal with the grave digging? Don't make me go on a locking rampage.

:angry: