South Florida Mitsubishi Enthusiasts

The Online Home for South Florida Mitsubishi & DSM Enthusiasts!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new guy, new project.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:59 pm 

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2590277

this is my mom's car, but i'm going to mod it instead of my truck, because my truck has a snowball's chance in hell of beating a V8.

modlist is at the bottom, and all the current mods on there were on there when we bought the car. i've got big plans for this thing, and as soon as i fix the leaking headgasket, i'm getting a front mount!

the plan is to mod it so much that the speed scares her, and she trades me cars lol
fingers crossed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:27 pm 

Car: 92 GST
Quote:
(be prepared for the following pictures that contain a riced-out GS-T.. this was not my work.. previous owners did all of it)

Thanks for the warning, welcome....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:44 pm 
Veteran Member

Name: AJ
Car: 1997 Eclipse GSX
Okay, so I have a few things to say...

First, Why did your mom buy a riced-out GS-T to use as her daily driver?
Second, Why is your blow-off valve return hose not attached to your blow-off valve? The car is probably idling like shit, you are running lean at WOT and rich between shifts. It's not good for the car. Yes, the "whoosh" is louder, but why risk the motor for a louder "whoosh"?
Third, Remove that upper strut tower bar as soon as possible. I have seen a few cases where the positive battery terminal shield will move and batteries will arc on the strut tower bar causing fires and massive destruction. On second thought though, I suppose you could wrap electrical tape around the section nearest to the battery terminal.
Fourth, I'll have to double check on this, but I'm pretty sure stock side mirrors are not heated. Mine are not, I'm sure Diego's are not, and I don't know anyone else's whose are.
Fifth, Replace the whole taillight section. OEM all the way across the board. Same with the headlights. 1997-1999 headlights would make the front end look much better.
As far as the body kit goes, I really don't think it looks all that bad. There are kits that look a lot worse than the Blitz kit. Different wheels (which are already on your list) would make the car look 10 times better. The Injen CAI should not be causing the car to throw a code. That just seems very weird to me. It could have to do with the blow-off valve return hose being disconnected. If you still have it, how much do you want for it? The air box around the filter looks nice.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know. Other than that, Welcome to SoFlaDSM. :)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - PARKED
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - WRECKED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:50 pm 

AllWheelDSM wrote:
Okay, so I have a few things to say...

First, Why did your mom buy a riced-out GS-T to use as her daily driver?
Second, Why is your blow-off valve return hose not attached to your blow-off valve? The car is probably idling like shit, you are running lean at WOT and rich between shifts. It's not good for the car. Yes, the "whoosh" is louder, but why risk the motor for a louder "whoosh"?
Third, Remove that upper strut tower bar as soon as possible. I have seen a few cases where the positive battery terminal shield will move and batteries will arc on the strut tower bar causing fires and massive destruction. On second thought though, I suppose you could wrap electrical tape around the section nearest to the battery terminal.
Fourth, I'll have to double check on this, but I'm pretty sure stock side mirrors are not heated. Mine are not, I'm sure Diego's are not, and I don't know anyone else's whose are.
Fifth, Replace the whole taillight section. OEM all the way across the board. Same with the headlights. 1997-1999 headlights would make the front end look much better.
As far as the body kit goes, I really don't think it looks all that bad. There are kits that look a lot worse than the Blitz kit. Different wheels (which are already on your list) would make the car look 10 times better. The Injen CAI should not be causing the car to throw a code. That just seems very weird to me. It could have to do with the blow-off valve return hose being disconnected. If you still have it, how much do you want for it? The air box around the filter looks nice.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know. Other than that, Welcome to SoFlaDSM. :)

she needed to buy a car QUICK because she lost her other car.
this was the only thing in her price range, it just HAPPENED to be a GST

i HAD the BOV recirculated, and that's about the time the CEL came on.. i got the p1105 trouble code (air metering) so i vented it. still have that trouble code, but now i'll need a coupler to recirc it... i didn't do it for the WHOOSH (cuz i can't hear the difference between reirc and vented on this setup anyway.. i tried to listen for a change..couldn't hear one)
i took your advice on the strut bar because the strut bar actually has already pulled the rubber covering off a couple times.. so i wrapped that up with elec. tape, thanks for that.
i just assumed the stock side mirrors were heated because there are side mirror controls inside of the car (right under the foglight button to the left of the gauge cluster.. and they are OEM or a damn fine replica)
i still have the filter installed, i just took off the injen intake metal tubing..
(so, it's exactly as it looks on cardomain right now..vented and just the filter. the injen intake is just a metal tube, shouldn't make too much of a difference this way or the other)

with the intake and without, the CEL stays on. same with recirc and vented..

i'm thinkin it's a bad MAF sensor, or one of the harnesses has dust in it.. something along those lines.

about the headlights/taillights tho, i'm not too concerned about that.. i'm more about the mechanical than the appearance aspect. as long as the lights work, i'm gonna keep them on the backburner for now.
i need a day off of work, so i can do some maintenance/get to know the car better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:47 am 
Veteran Member

Alright, these forums suck.. Apparently they went down last night and were down all night. In the process, it lost my second post which was fairly lengthy...

Alright let's try this again.

Are you sure that P1105 is the code? Because P1105 has nothing to do with Air Metering. P1105 means that your Fuel Pressure Solenoid is malfunctioning. So if you are sure that's the right code, I should have mine sitting around. If you can make it out to the meet this Sunday, I can show you how to bypass the FPS. It isn't needed for the functioning of the car. The hoses running to and from it can be routed straight, instead of through the solenoid. You unfortunately have to leave it there plugged in to it's connector so that you don't get the Check Engine Light. That is until you get something like DSMLink, and then all the emissions solenoids and other shit can be removed. :D

Also, if you're sure that P1105 is the right code, that means that you can throw the Injen intake back on, and recirculate your BOV. Believe it or not, you're probably getting an increase (a small one) in horsepower. I wouldn't be surprised if it helps with your spool either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:13 am 
Site Admin

If you're already getting an FPS code, then you can just remove everything w/o worrying about it. Just sucks if something else is to go wrong as you won't know about it.

Without spending some money on the car (and some traction) I wouldn't imagine that you'd get it to the point where your mom won't drive it.

Good luck though.

Also, I think it's a "known issue" that the injen can cause codes on 2g's. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a lot of folks having issues with them.

Oh, and AJ, guy is located in Punta Gorda. I don't see him showing up to one of our meets any time soon. :tongue:

RIP: Raul Ortiz - 02/29/2008 -- Westley Hess - 12/30/2008 -- W.G.L. - 4/24/2010

Life member: NRA, GOA, SAF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:41 am 
Veteran Member

Yeah, saw his location and didn't even think about the fact that he is 3 hours away. Right around Punta Gorda is where I picked up my GSX from. :) It's not THAT far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:05 am 
Veteran Member

Name: Mike
Car: 2021 Chevy Blazer 2LT Midnight Sport
Welcome! Looks like you have a nice project on your hands!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:20 pm 

lol, thanks for the replies guys.

i might get the code checked again, but i went to auto zone both times and it threw up the same code both times.. p1105

ya, i don't think i'll be makin it out to the meet this sunday.. i've got work from 3-10pm

but i DO wanna go to some meets and talk to some knowledgable DSMers.
this being my first project an all... maybe the next meet